Mon 22 Mar 2021

Media release
Wednesday, 17 March 2021

CCF welcomes Government adopting its policy recommendations

The Civil Contractors Federation welcomes Government announcements in yesterday’s State of the State speech by Premier Gutwein.

CCF CEO, Rachael Matheson, said the announcements align closely with a number of recommendations made to Government by Civil Contractors Federation and Master Builders Tasmania in the ‘Rebuilding Tasmania’ document released in May last year.

“Our plan was the result of extensive consultation with the civil sector and it’s good to see the Government has adopted a number of our recommendations,” Ms Matheson said.

“One of our key recommendations was to ensure the private sector was driving economic growth, rather than being entirely dependent on public spending.  A number of the policies announced yesterday will certainly contribute to private sector investment.

“It’s also encouraging to see the Government listening to our calls for more support with headworks charges.  We know that the cost of headworks has stopped a number of projects from going ahead, including desperately needed sub-divisions and land releases.

“CCF believes that there is much more to be done to ensure we have the skills and training in place to develop a strong workforce to deliver the projects coming to market. We are confident the Government is on the right track and look forward to further positive interactions as we implement our ‘Civil Construction Industry Workforce Plan, 2019-2025’ that was released in late 2019.

“In regards to incentivising businesses to take on people struggling to break into employment, whatever they do, the Government needs to ensure that the compliance burden and red tape isn’t so onerous that it prohibits smaller businesses from participating.”